Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Dia De Los Muertos, The Skeleton Collection!

For those of you that don't know, I live in Las Vegas Nevada, and we have a thriving Mexican-American community here in town. As such this southwest town has the occasional Dia De Los Muertos celebration. There are a lot of Skeletons and Skulls featured during this Mexican holiday.
Thus a post on my Paper Skeletons.

First is my pride and joy of my Die-cut collection, the only real vintage Halloween decoration I have, and I received him as a hand-me-down from my grandmother. 

Image by Strublay
He is a Beistle die cut, one sided Paper Skeleton Halloween decoration.
Isn't it awesome? 
It was manufactured sometime in the 50's or 60's and it is from my Grandmothers collection, which means that the Skelly was used during the time that my mom was a kid. 

I LOVE my Vintage Skelly.

Image by Strublay
It's a bit beat up, but it is awesome, and it looks good on turquoise!

Image by Strublay
Here is my late 1980's early 1990s Skeleton Die-cut, I know less information about it, other than the fact that it is wearing a belt that says Dem Bones 1892 on it.
It's cool, one that my mom used to put up every year. The shirt my mom made for me the same year my mother and father discovered the combination of cheese cloth, starch, glow in the dark paint, and fishing line to create a ghost. EVERYTHING was glow in the dark that year. The year after I had grown out of the shirt and we put it on Dem Bones. 

Image by Strublay
This is an older Skeleton Die Cut, not old enough to not be printed on both sides, but it is made out of matte paper and is strictly black and white.
I think it is also a hand-me-down from my grandmothers collection.
Happy Dia De Los Muertos!

4 comments:

Mr. Macabre said...

Love them! I collect paper skeletons too but mine doesn't have any history as yours does.
I'm envious, I'd love to go to a Dia De Los Muertos celebration!

"Strublay" said...

Yeah, mine was a very unintentional collection... Its funny when my Mother glares at me for loving Halloween so much to remind her that she was no better if not worse than I am when she was my age, and to have proof.

See if you have any cultural centers in your area doing them, We have one cultural center and park that holds Dia De Los Muertos Celebrations every year, so if your anywhere near a major city, you are bound to have one celebration going. It can't just be limited to the southwest.

Mr. Macabre said...

We seem have something else in common, my mother gets onto me for loving Halloween too.
I'll check and see if I can find some DOTD celebrations around here...thanks!

"Strublay" said...

LOL, I think every Halloween nut has that in common, mothers disapproval that is.
and No Prob! ^_^